Have you ever wanted to make your own chocolate truffles but didn't know how?! This recipe is super easy (almost fool proof) and uses only five ingredients and one pot!
We love these truffles for a few different reasons. First off, they are the perfect texture - soft, super rich, creamy, and magically melt in your mouth in the most decadent way. They are the perfect combination of rich dark chocolate and subtle rose. We think they'd make the perfect Valentine's day dessert for a romantic dinner or just shared with your gal pals or co-workers for a mind blowing treat that is packed with nutrients! They can be stored at room temperature which make them easy to give as a handmade gift wrapped in foil or in a pretty box.
Did you know rose essential oil is the highest frequency food of any natural substance? What does that mean exactly?! To keep it simple, every thing has a frequency because everything vibrates (because everything is made of atoms!). You, me, plants,etc. The human body = 62-72 MHz (unit of measurement), rose = 320 MHz! Think of it as concentrated life force. Consuming it or smelling it can helps raise your vibration (which improves health and immunity). Rose oil is known to be a natural antidepressant, aphrodisiac, and anti-viral and more. We use a teeny tiny bit in a whole batch of chocolate, so don't worry, you wont vibrate away but we do hope you enjoy the health benefits and uplifting qualities of rose.
These truffles are:
rich & creamy
1 Rose Maca bar - finely chopped
1 TBS coconut oil
1 TBS + tsp coconut butter*
1 TBS maple Syrup
1 TBS raw cacao powder (Plus extra for dusting)
1. Start by getting all the ingredients prepared, chop the chocolate bar and measure out the ingredients. The next process uses the heat from the coconut oil in step 2 to melt the rest of the ingredients. So you'll need those ready to go, in order to not have to reheat the chocolate (which can compromise the integrity of the chocolate).
2. Melt the coconut oil over low heat until it is melted and hot 1-2 minutes.
3. Take the coconut oil off the heat completely and in the same saucepan add the coconut butter and mix quickly until completely integrated.
4. Immediately add the chocolate and stir until melted.
5. Add the cacao powder and stir until combined.
6. Add the maple syrup and stir until combined. Immediately place in fridge.
7. Take the chocolate out after it is in solid form (not liquid). Use a tablespoon to scoop out a ball. Form bar with hands until you form a truffle. Place on plate and repeat until all chocolate is used. Place chocolate back in fridge for a minute.
7. Optional: Dump some raw cacao powder into a bowl. Take out the balls from the fridge and toss with the raw cacao powder until coated.
Serve at room temperature. Store in the fridge covered (chocolate can take on other flavors easily) up to 14 days.
*you can alternatively just use 1/4 cup coconut oil total. The truffles will be much softer so be sure to keep them in the fridge until you serve them.
We hope you love this recipe. Keep in touch with us @notyoursugarmamas (instagram) or @notursugrmamas (twitter) #notyoursugarmamas
Keepin' it real,
Ky & Bennett
P.S. We are excited to announce that we will be a part of health expert Robyn Youkilis's Go with Your Gut book launch party with best selling author Gabrielle Bernstein! If you are in the area, its going to be a great event! You can sign up here.
P.P.S. Don't miss out on our Valentine's Day limited edition bark.
You say “COCOA”, I say “CACAO”. Same thing? Not exactly.
Cacao is chocolate in it’s purest form. Cacao beans are found in fleshy, oval shaped pods on cacao trees. Once harvested, the beans are fermented and dried. Cacao is raw, unprocessed and contains no sugar, additives, or preservatives. It has not been exposed to heat and is loaded with antioxidants and other nutrients like iron and magnesium.
Cocoa is the processed version of cacao. Cocoa powder has been roasted at high temperatures and usually contains sugar and preservatives. The roasting process, which reduces the natural bitterness, is thought to destroy the intense nutritional benefits in raw cacao.
While raw cacao and processed cocoa offer some of the same benefits, cacao is more nutritionally dense since it’s less processed. Same goes for most of the other fruits & veggies in your diet - the closer they are to their purest form, the more nutrients they contain!
What can raw cacao do for you:
- Boosts mood (thanks to anandamide)
- Improves brain function (thanks to magnesium)
- Promotes a healthy heart, reducing risk of cancer (thanks to antioxidants)
- Balances blood sugar levels (thanks to chromium)
- Improves metabolism (thanks to B vitamins)
Not Your Sugar Mamas chocolate is FULL of the good stuff: organic raw cacao, organic raw cacao butter, all non-GMO, and gluten and dairy free. So... what are you waiting for!?
Okay so most of you have come to know us from our delicious chocolate bars. But since opening our second retail location this year, we’ve really expanded what we have to offer you all. Like, really expanded. We recently hired a baker named Julianna and we absolutely love her and all that she has created! She is an incredibly inspired and passionate baker who spent weeks researching delicious new recipes to provide for you all. Everyday we walk in the store she has created not just one but many new wonderful creations! Things like snickerdoodles, banana bread muffins, chocolate coconut scones, coffee cake, strawberry orange bread, chocolate dandy biscotti, chocolate avocado pie and cranberry walnut biscotti…just to name a few. We are so blessed to have Julianna, Elise, Blair, Evan and Elizabeth all helping us with production this year. Stop by Vineyard Haven to see one of their bright shining faces or stop by our Edgartown store and meet Sarah or Jenny who hold down the fort over there. We now have extended hours, 7:00am-7pm in Vineyard Haven and 7:30-10pm in Edgartown. Have a wonderful 4th of July everyone and we hope see you all soon!
It was EASY for NOT YOUR SUGAR MAMAS to choose to use organic ingredients in our products on taste and nutrient value alone. However, there are a number of reasons why we strongly adhere to organic standards day in and day out.
Our mission is to spread love through each one of our kickass products. We believe that in the way we do business – with products that nourish your body, by communicating positive and encouraging words, and behavior that is kind to the planet – we can accomplish just that. We believe that organic and ethically sourced ingredients allow us the most possibilities to have a positive impact. Here are three reasons why.
1. Organic is best for our consumers overall health – organic foods reduce your exposure to toxins including pesticide residues. According to the President’s Canceer Panel, there is a strong link between the increasing rate of cancer and our polluted planet. The advice? Choose foods grown with out pesticides or chemical fertilizers to decrease your exposure. Organic foods avoid these chemicals. Even more, healthy soils contain more nutrients than soils that have been heavily polluted and stripped of natural minerals.
2. Organic Foods are best for farmer’s health & livelihood – Would you want to be exposed to a high rate of chemicals each day? Industrial farming contributes to the highest amount of petroleum used per industry, with a big chunk of that due to the synthetic fertilizers they use. I feel bad for the people exposed to that EVERY DAY! Using organic methods protects the farmers from that exposure. Organic farmers are also able to improve their income due to the price premiums and reduced input costs that organic farming provides. In fact, organic systems are actually three times more profitable than conventional counterparts.
3. Its best for the PLANET & future generations! Organic farming helps protect the soil, water, and air from toxic chemicals that otherwise pollute the earth and our bodies. Organic farming helps build and improve soil help and conserve the biodiversity and wildlife habitats because more birds, animals, and beneficial insects live on organic farms. It helps fight global warming by reducing energy inputs and carbon. Research indicates that conventional farming practices emit 40% more greenhouse gases per pound of crop produced relative to organic farming methods – so reduce your damn carbon footprint, spread the love, and eat ORGANIC!
In the past, I didn’t have a true concept of what it meant to live healthily. My idea of being healthy was to be skinny. I think that this is a common misconception for a lot of people, especially women. I thought the less food I ate the better. And when I did eat, I had feelings of guilt and shame surrounding my mealtimes, which were few and far between. During this part of my life, I was also feeling depressed and anxious. I wasn’t fully expressing myself. I didn’t experience a lot of joy in my life…and if I did it was in a fleeting, unsustainable fashion. What I’ve learned since beginning my studies in holistic nutrition is that our relationship with food is indicative of our relationship with our life. Once I learned what foods worked for me (as it’s different for each person), I began nourishing myself with nutrient dense whole foods. That is, food that hasn’t been processed and stripped of all nutrients (like many canned or processed foods that come in a package). I began spending most of my time in the grocery store in the produce section. I realized this is where the real food lives! These are the foods that make my body and soul thrive. As I began to give myself permission to enjoy foods that fueled me (eating for fuel+enjoyment is the ultimate eating experience), I began to experience states of pure bliss in my life. I began not only seeking the highest quality food possible but also the highest quality life experiences possible. This is when my love affair with SUPERFOODS like raw cacao began. I thought “Why not feed myself with the healthiest foods out there? What’s stopping me?” The quality of foods that I choose to eat is a mirror of the quality of experiences I have in my life now. I want nothing but the most fulfilling, highest vibration food and life experiences because you only live once. Why not love yourself enough to take really good care of yourself? Have you experienced a shift in the way you eat and the quality of your life? Please share with us below.Bennett
I’ve been posting a lot on facebook lately about our superfood energy balls and people LOVE this product of ours. We get so much positive feedback about these balls it’s amazing. The shelves of Cronig’s are restocked each week with more ballsy bags and each time I walk by our shelf, it looks as if a tornado has come through. They fly off the shelves like crazy! There are so many unique ways to consume raw cacao and we feel really blessed to be able to provide you guys with so many different options. From chocolate bars, to smoothie mixes, to cookies, to energy balls there really is something for everyone. I love reading about new developments in the health and wellness field, I find it very exciting and inspiring to read about how a certain food can truly affect our health for the better. This week I came across an article emphasizing the health benefits of walnuts, and since our balls are made up of mostly walnuts I felt excited to share more about this superfood in case you weren’t already aware of the health properties. There have been numerous studies done showing that people who consumed walnuts moderately significantly lowered their LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) proving that it was a very heart healthy nut. Walnuts contain a variety of nutrients (arginine, polyphenols, omega 3s, gamma tocopherol) which help support the inner arterial lining and guard against abnormal platelet aggregation and heart disease. So eat up your walnuts this winter! And order some of our balls with the added benefit of raw cacao here. Are you crazy for our ballsy balls too?? Please share below. Happy hearts and happy tummies everyone.