While making this recipe I realized that vegan marshmallows (made without refined sugar) don't grow on trees! After a few failed attempts with agar agar and arrowroot - I came back to the drawing board and thought - what makes a s'more delicious? It is the combination of a gooey toasted marshmallow, cinnamon sugar graham cracker and delicious chocolate stacked into a messy handheld sandwich. I figured out that I could achieve the above iconic deliciousness with a coconut whipped cream, a simple grain-free graham cracker recipe, and our Pure and Simple chocolate bar or I've included our fudgey chocolate recipe for a softer chocolate bar! Both are amazing. You can make this completely raw (no baking required) or you can choose to bake the graham cracker recipe. If you're used to a softer graham cracker, I'd suggest the raw version. If you crave that crunch in a s'more, simply bake the crackers. The jury is out on which one is the favorite! We'll let you decide.
I love this recipe because its super easy; it takes only 25 minutes to make and is a breeze to assemble!
Graham Cracker Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon flax seed
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (I used Himalayan)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate Ingredients: Or 1-2 Pure and Simple Bar Pieces
1/2 cup coconut oil or cacao butter, or a mix of coconut butter, coconut oil and cacao butter
1/2 cup raw cacao
1/4 teaspoon maple syrup, agave or honey
2 tablespoons cacao
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
dash sea salt
Honey Sweetened-Vanilla Marshmallow
1 can full fat coconut milk (chilled at least 15 minutes up to overnight - you want the cream to be semi hard and separated from the milk)
1 tablespoon raw clear honey (if possible, will lead to lighter color)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or maple sugar
1. Make the chocolate. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or plate/pyrex).
2. In a small saucepan on low heat melt coconut oil (or mix of fats) until liquid. Add cacao powder, maple syrup, salt and vanilla and stir well.
3. Pour mixture in baking sheet to create a thick layer of chocolate and place in freezer to set.
4. Make the graham cracker. (For cooked version only) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (For both raw and baked) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl mix all ingredients and massage and squeeze with hands until a dough forms (may take a bunch of squeezes). When dough is dough-like, press it into the baking sheet and form a 1/4 inch layer and flatten out with your hands. Try to make sure the layer is consistent throughout. For cooked version, bake for 10 minutes (or until bottom is brown but not burnt). For raw version, place in freezer to set.
5. Make marshmallow. Open coconut milk can and separate cream from liquid coconut. Place in bowl and whisk with vanilla and honey until it resembles whipped cream. Store in fridge until your ready to assemble.
6. To assemble, take graham crackers out and cut into squares. Cut chocolate to match graham cracker sizes. assemble graham cracker, with a big slice of chocolate, put a dollop of marshmallow on top. Sprinkle coconut palm sugar/maple sugar on top and bring fire to crisp until slightly burnt. Put graham cracker on top. Eat right away!